Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Drooling over my leftovers

I'm sitting here at work slurping the rest of the super delicious (and easy) soup that I made on Sunday afternoon and I thought I need to share the recipe with someone...but with whom? With you...if anyone reads this. ;)

The recipe is from one of my favorite blogHers, Jenny, at Picky-Palate.com. She has lots of treats, lots of dinners and I've loved everything that I've tried of hers.

Without further ado...drumroll please....  Picky-Palate's Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup
 
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced (I used a jar of roasted garlic, it was phenomenal!)
  • 80 oz chicken broth, 2 1/2 cartons of the 32 oz (I used 10 cups of broth made from chicken bouillon)
  • 10 oz can rotel tomatoes, mild
  • 7 oz can diced green chilies
  • 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts; cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 2 1/2 Cups cooked rice of choice, Jenny used basmati (I used Calrose)
  • 1/4 Cup fresh lime juice (It took 4 limes for me to get 1/4 c)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • Pinches of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley to taste
  • 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped (I only used 1/2 a bunch; Thad's not too hip on cilantro)
  • Fresh diced avocados, drizzled with lime juice
  • 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Tortilla chips (broken ones are okay, or you could put them at the bottom whole and pour the soup on top)
1.  Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute. (I threw in the cooked rice here and stirred it around in the onion and garlic before adding the other ingredients) Stir in chicken broth, tomtoes, green chilies, chicken breast, rice, lime juice and seasonings.  Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season according to your liking.  Right before serving add chopped cilantro.

2.  Serve soup with fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese and crushed chips if desired.  If you can handle the heat, squeeze some Siracha over top, yum!!
10-12 servings


p.s. I think that it was a bit spicy (for kids) the first day (but perfect for me) but definitely lost the spice after the first day.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails