Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tomorrow's the big day...

So we went to the pre-op appointment for Nathan's surgery to fix his sagittal synostosis (premature closing of the sagittal suture) in West LA (Kaiser at Sunset/Edgemont) this weekend and signed a gazillion (wow-it didn't mark that as a typo-is it a real word?) papers, had blood drawn (the worst part by far because they took it, drop-by-drop, out of his heel and he screamed for 10 minutes since we had to literally pin him down). But it looks like as long as he kicks the cold/cough that he kind of has it's a go for tomorrow.

We can't give him any milk after midnight, but he can have apple juice/water until 5 am. We have to be in West LA by 5:30 am (hey, at least there won't be any traffic) and the surgery is set for 7:30 with Dr. Wexler (plastic surgeon) and Dr. Cahan (neurosurgeon). They both seem super nice and have worked together a many types of surgeries, including cases of craniosynostosis.

Sammy will be staying with my parents at night and bouncing around during the day while we're at the hospital Monday/Tuesday and maybe Wednesday. Thad and I will have to see what we'll do about staying with Nathan and visiting Sammy! Sigh. It is going to be a long week.

I, for the most part, have my lesson plans done but I need to drop them off at school today before 2. I still need to write up a video WS for one of the SpIII videos. Fun stuff. I better get to work. I already packed for Sammy (woo hoo) and Nathan won't need much for his time there (they'll provide everything!) I better get back to finishing the ward newsletter (I finally got the last few articles emailed to me) so that my parents can print it up, put it together, and send it off while I'm at the hospital!

Keep us in your prayers. The surgery (you can read about another surgery here to get an idea of what it is like) is supposed to last about 3 hours....

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good luck Nathan! We love you!

-Auntie Carrie & Fam

starstruck_texan said...

Good Luck Alli....I pray that all goes well!

Jen Kesler said...

I've got my fingers crossed! Hope all is well!

MrsLaLa said...

I'm so glad I found you! My daughter Lennon has an appointment with Dr Welxer on June 8th (she has metopic cranio). I hope you don't mind if I stalk your story! =)

Would you mind sharing more with me about your experience with Dr Wexler?

Related Posts with Thumbnails