Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We're home! The surgery was a success!

So just a quick update! The surgery happened early Monday morning and he was done and in the post-op room by 11:00 am. He was moved about 1 or 2 pm into the Pediatric ICU. The first day he was in a lot of pain and would fall asleep only to wake up a few minutes later screaming. It was so hard to see him like that but we quickly figured out if we caressed his head/cheek and sang softly to him that he'd calm down (with a little help also from some morphine!) Later on that day they let us give him Pedialyte and we saw instant results! He was much happier once he had food in his tummy and took leaps and bounds the rest of that day in his condition. His head was a bit swollen, but he could see and open his eyes! He started sleeping more and was much happier! Tuesday he got even better (no more morphine needed) and in the evening he began to eat baby food, sat up on his own, started smiling and giggling, playing with anything and everything that he could get his hands on and able to be up a little longer each time. He stayed in the PICU until his release this morning! When Dr. Cahan (the neurosurgeon) came in and saw him sitting up unassisted and smiling he said, "this kid's too healthy to be here. Let's send him home!" We were okay with that! :) We feel very blessed. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!


(These pics (L-R) are 1. his favorite nurses, Pearl, Cynthia, & Jing, 2. The incision, 3. Sitting up and smiling)

If you want to see more pics click here to go to SmugMug!


Trimbles said...

Oh Im so glad things went so well! I have been thinking about you and Im looking forward to see the new pics :)

Carolyn said...

Yea! I am SO glad that he is doing better! Those pictures really hurt my heart to see my cute nephew in that condition. But finally, the stress is over! Now, it's time to just be happy and move on!

We love you all!!!!!


starstruck_texan said...

Yeah for kids and their being so resilient! That is so great that his recovery went so well.

Jen Kesler said...


jen and michael said...

woot allie! glad all went well. oh, and why didnt you tell me you ahd a blarrg?!?

Jessnjust said...

Hi, my name is Jessica and I have a little boy, Mason. At Mason's 4 month check up, the pediatrician was concerned that she was unable to feel his soft spot. She sent us to a specialist who was concerned and ordered a cat scan. We just went for the cat scan and have a recheck with the specialist coming up tomorrow. I am worried that Mason will have to have surgery as well and I have been researching about craniosynostosis and came upon your page. It brought tears to my eyes to view the pictures of your son and thinking about the upcoming possibilities of a surgery for Mason. It hurts my heart to think of an infant going through a surgery and not being able to explain to them what is going on or console them that it will be ok. How old was your son when he had the surgery? Does the wound heal quickly? Was he ok? I am worried that I won't know how to handle to post op care and help him to heal and bounce back. If you could please answer some questions that I have that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. Glad all went well with your baby. God bless!

Beaupedia said...

Hi there, I don't know any of you but wanted to say hello. I had Sagittal Synostosis as a baby and am now a healthy 26 year old. My scar goes from front to back, not one side to the other like your son, but my hair covers it nicely.

Glad everything went well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails