Saturday, July 26, 2014

Tropical Green Smoothie

DSCN3080The boys and I bought some nectarines the other day and they wanted to put one in a smoothie so we did! They loved it so much that I made it a second time and actually wrote down the ingredients. Our normal smoothie making style is to just throw in our staples (i.e. banana, frozen pineapple. yogurt) and usually a handful of baby carrots and a handful of spinach if we have it) and then add whatever else we feel like or have on hand. The boys get excited when they get to pick what goes in the smoothie! It usually is very tasty but they said this was one of the best ones ever!

Tropical Green SmoothieDSCN3079

  • 2 cups of loosely packed spinach (one big handful)
  • 1 nectarine (take out the seed!)
  • 2 cups of pineapple chunks (I used frozen but don’t attempt this without a Vitamix or something like it)
  • 2 cups of vanilla yogurt (I tried it today with plain greek yogurt and it was okay but a little too sour for me so I ended up adding 1 Tbs of agave nectar)
  • 1 cup of Orange Juice
  • 2 Tbs of ground flaxseed (optional--ground is better if you don't want to change the texture much)

Approximately enough for four - 12 oz smoothies; You could probably use the whole nectarine whoand use half as much of the other ingredients if you didn’t need so much. I have a lot of hungry mouths to feed!

*If your kids are sensitive to seeing small green or red pieces from skin or spinach you want to put the nectarine and the spinach on the bottom (and or blend those two together with the OJ until you don’t see them). My kids are weird (like me) and LOVE fruits and veggies and will even eat, and at times fight over, fresh spinach. I mean, isn’t that unfair if someone gets more spinach leaves than another?! ;)

 

Variation #2 – Berry Nectarine Smoothie – Maybe even more delicious?!

  • 2 nectarines
  • 2 cups of pineapple chunks
  • 2 cups of vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup of frozen blueberries

YUM. I really think that nectarines are my new favorite smoothie ingredient. Now if I could only buy them at Costco frozen we’d be set!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails