Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nathan: 2 year Surgery Update - April 14, 2010

NewCameraMarch2010_LBAquarium_3-30-10_ 027I can’t believe that two years ago today we were at Kaiser Sunset with Nathan after he had his surgery to correct Sagittal Synostosis. Time really flies! And I remember that after Daniel was born that one of the first things that I was anxious to hear was if he was okay or if his soft spot was closing as well. He got a clean bill of health :) and I was very relieved.

Either way I am grateful for the wonderful doctors at Kaiser especially Dr. Geman Cheng who noticed it at Nathanael’s first appointment and then carefully watched him and then referred us to the neurologist when his soft spot did indeed close. I am also grateful for their top-of-the-line surgeons, Dr. Wexler (plastic surgeon) and Dr. Cahan (neurosurgeon), who took care of him and kept him healthy and alive! They’re so genuine and down-to-earth too! And I would be remiss if I didn't thank our Heavenly Father for keeping him safe!

If you missed our exciting story with Nathan and want to read more about craniosynostosis / sagittal synostosis check these links to read our story.
Nathan_presurgery2If you’re a mom/dad looking for advice about surgery I would do it again in a heartbeat. His suffering was minimal (he really was up and running again in about 24 hours and even though his head was still cut  he was super happy!) and I don’t even want to think about what he’d be like now if he hadn’t had the surgery. He’s got a pretty nifty scar but you don’t even see it unless we cut his hair really short!  Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions!

Nathan_presurgery3 * If you look at the picture to the right you can kind of see that his head just looks a little funny. On the left you can see that the closed fontanel (soft spot) wasn’t allowing his little head to expand as needed causing a funny football like shape. I am grateful for modern medicine (and faith, prayer and great surgeons!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails