Just gloating a little! Between my mom and I and all of our lovely tomato plants we have had so many that we've been able to make fresh salsa! Here is a yummy recipe thanks to Freddy, the head cook at one of the restaurants my brother used to manage! My mom made some changes and we love it!
2 jalapenos (add more if you want it hotter-this is mild to medium)
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I like kosher salt-sometimes I add another 1/2 tsp of salt)
1 tsp. cumin (use less if you want it less spicy)
1/3 bunch of fresh, chopped cilantro (if you don't have fresh use about 1 Tbsp of dry-add more or less if you don't like or really like the taste!)
1 - 2 tsp chopped garlic (I just used a spoonful of the stuff out of the jar - add more or less to your taste)
3/4 medium yellow or brown onion (chopped)
*We doubled it and used a big pot, but otherwise you could do this in a 3 qt saucepan!
1. Cut up the tomatoes into 1/2 inch chunks (reserve 1/2 for later, 1/2 of them go into the pot)
2. Carefully cut two jalapenos open and deseed them and then finely chop (if your hands are sensitive to these make a salt/water solution to rinse your fingers in and rinse often!)
3. Boil 1/2 of the cut tomatoes and both of the diced jalapenos.
4. While they're starting to heat add the salt, cumin, garlic, and cilantro. Then boil about 5 minutes.
5. If it's not broken down you can let this cool and then blend this in your blender a little to chop it up a little more.
6. While it's cooling chop/dice your onions. Then add your onions and the other 1/2 of the tomatoes and stir. Let sit for 15 minutes or so to let the flavors meld. If it's not as hot as you want it then you can add more cumin or salt or whatever at this point!
7. Get your favorite chips and enjoy warm or cold!
~:[CH6 - Day 112]:~ The Foundation
18 hours ago